Logo

Logo

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mr Greeks

A day late but...Had dinner at Mr Greeks with Terri last night and as usual we were not dissapointed.  I'm not much to go out during the week but Terri will be entertaining guests all weekend and it was a good opportunity to spend a little time with her. We started out with something new on the menu callled tyropitakia it was basically phyllo dough filled with different cheeses cut into triangles and served with tzatziki.  The flavor was really nice without a lot of bite from the cheese.  Unfortunately they were a bit greasy on the bottom and could have used some quality time on parchment.  I did some research and found a recipe for them http://greekfood.about.com/od/filledphyllopies/r/GreekPhylloCheeseTriangles.htm 

Greek Phyllo Cheese Triangles
Photo © Lynn Livanos Athan

For our main course we had the gyro sandwich with fries.  I added feta to mine because you can never have enough cheese!  The sandwiches were AWESOME!  The service was great and the new menu has some neat additions.  Mr. Greeks is a pretty popular place and the restaurant is small so get there early. They are located at 1670 Pass Road in Biloxi right near Keesler gate 7.   BONUS!!!!  They will sell you almost everything you need to create gyros at home all you need is your lettuce, tomatoes and red onion.  I spoke to the owner a bit ago and he is thinking about moving back to Greece when his daughters finish school.  I'm not sure when that will be or even if he is leaving.  I would recommend you give it a try soon just in case.  Another favorite spot of mine to shop is the Oriental Market that is just a few doors down from Mr. Greek.  They are a mom and pop store and I have learned a great deal about oriental food from the lady of the store.  She taught me how to roll sushi and has been a great friend.  The main reason I brought the store up is because the first batch of Korean pears will be coming in next week.  You may have seen them in the grocery as pear apples or asian pears in various sizes.  If you haven't tried the real deal from Korea than run don't walk to the Oriental Market and pick one up. Yes I said one.  These things are quite large and a bit pricy.  The ones from Korea are distinctively thinner skinned and sweeter.  I like them chilled before eating.  The texture of the fruit is hard to describe but it is very crisp and juicy.  VERY juicy! The flavor is like a mix of pear and apple.  Well that's about it for tonight.  I'm waiting for the critical analysis of my latest batch of ice cream from Terri's mom.  It's always interesting.

"Chow for Now"

Pete

1 comment:

  1. The cheese triangles were very good - nice and flaky and the cheese had a great flavor. I could never decide whether I liked them with or without the tzaziki. Don't forget the gyros! Mmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete