Logo

Logo

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Samurai in Gulfport

Greetings my fellow food fanatics!

Well I couldn't let this one slip by without comment.  Today Don (My brother from another mother) took his girl Angie, Terri and myself to Samurai on highway 49 in Gulfport.  All I can say is WOW!!  That was some serious sushi!!  They are located at 2511 25th St.  Here is their web site address.  They have the complete menu there.http://www.samurai49.com/samurai/Jin_e/ContentList.aspx?catid=301311339

The menu is huge and there are some very creative choices I don't think you'll be disappointed.  To start we each had soup I had miso and everyone else had egg drop.  Miso had a nice slightly smokey flavor and it wasn't overly salty.  For entrees the ladies both had the Yakisoba with shrimp and Don and I had the teryiaki beef bento lunch.  The girls thoroughly enjoyed their meals and there wasn't much to take home.  The bento had a nice variety of foods.  It came with a salad and the ginger dressing was pretty good.  I do find most ginger dressings to be watery but this one was less so than most.  Along with the salad there was a few pieces of snow crab roll, white steamed rice and some orange segments.  The beef was cooked to perfection and it was very high quality.  It was cooked a bit towarde the rare side which is exactly how I like it.  The teriyaki sauce was nice and thick and held onto the steak perfectly. A small sprinkling of sesame seed made the presentation.  Saving the best for last was the sushi.  We decided on three rolls, the rock and roll, kani naruto and the shrimp tempura.  Forgive me if the names aren't correct there is a lot of sushi on the menu.  The rolls are as much a feast to the eye as they are the pallet.  Everything tasted fresh and  vegetables were crisp.  The coolest roll at least in regards to technique was the kani naruto.  The outside was made of thinly sliced cucmber instead of the traditional seaweed.  It was a refreshing change.




Again thanks to Don, Angie and Terri for a wonderful experience.  Samurai in Gulfport is a keeper.  If you go keep an open mind and a curious palate you won't regret it.

"Chow for Now"


Pete

3 comments:

  1. The yakisoba was very good. Nice big shrimp and the noodles had a good flavor. It was a very fun lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que rico! When I am in town, I always have to go to Samurai. I remember in the ninties when it was Sho-Ya, (also sushi) and I must say it's even better since the change. Not only is the decor 100% more pleasing, the food is unforgettable. My absolute favorite specialty roll is the "Four Seasons," yes, I love roe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will have to give this joint a try again. First (and last) time I tried their sushi (back when it was Sho-Ya), it smelled and tasted like bait. According to my sushi "master," my pain-in-the-behind son-in-law, all you should smell and taste is ocean, not fish. Thanks, Peter. You do nice work. Our official taster, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete